The increase in consciousness of global environmental protection has made green production the most important part in maintaining environmental resources and industrial competitiveness. At the end of 2017, to maintain the water quality of Suzhou Creek, Kunshan City Government in China issued pollution constraints: companies that did not conform to the standard were completely shut down. Compal was not a high polluting industry and was not listed in the first shutdown list. However, Compal still continued to comply with its green production mode and promoted energy saving, water saving, and waste reducing operation model.
Environment Sustainability Management
Compal is devoted to decreasing harm of the product’s “from cradle to grave” life circle and harm to the environment. Also concentrating on increasing energy usage efficiency, reducing natural resources waste, lowering the emissions of effluents, air pollution, and waste, we created a sustainable and everlasting environment.
Due to the rapid and various changes in industrial pattern, the goal of energy and water saving intensity were based on the intensity of energy and water usage. The short-term target was to reduce the intensity of energy and water usage by 1% every year and through energy usage management and efficiency promotion, reach the long-term goal of 10% in 2020, as compared to the baseline year (2014).
In 2010, we formed the Green Committee led by senior managers graded Vice President and above whose mission is to set strategies and goals and monitor the progress of our efforts. In addition, a Green Sustainability Office (GSO) was created under the Committee to oversee the execution of environmental protection actions. The GSO regularly reports the progress and outcome of green projects to senior management.
External Advocacy and Engagement
As a significant member of the Earth, we actively participate in global and local environmental initiatives and actions.
- We have been participating in CDP and responding to questionnaires on climate change, water, and supply chain since 2009.
- In 2011, Compal was invited to participate in the GHG product value-added carbon footprint experimental project developed by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) and WRI, during which we provided feedback on our experience and recommendation in the ICT product carbon footprint survey and contributed to the establishment and improvement of new standards.
- In 2013, we led over 33 suppliers to participate in the Enterprise Carbon Footprint Restructuring and Upgrade Project organized by Kunshan City Government, Industrial Technology Research Institute, and Taiwan Electrical and Electronic Manufacturers’ Association, and were awarded the title of “Low Carbon Pioneer”.
- In 2013, we participated in the DJSI and Supply Chain Greenhouse Gas Task Force of Taiwan Enterprises Alliance for International Sustainability Index.
- In 2013, Compal was invited to participate in the corporate pledge for environmental education during the Taipei World Environmental Day and has since been educating employees in green living through action.
- Compal won a certificate of excellence in Taipei City's 2nd National Environment Education Award - Private Business Division in 2013.
- In 2014, Compal was invited to the annual meeting of Taiwan's "Cradle to Cradle" platform.
- In 2015, Compal achieved a Disclosure score of 97 and a Performance band of "C," and was selected in the Climate Disclosure Leadership Index for the very first time.
- Compal participated in the 2050 Pathways Platform of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change in 2016.
- In 2017, Compal achieved a Performance band of B.
- In 2018, Compal became the pioneer supporter of the Action Plan of Marine Debris Governance in Taiwan organized by EPA.
- In 2019, Compal carried out the CQA survey in Chongqing plant of rented dormitory indirect carbon emission and was validated.